Monday, May 20, 2013

Rutland, VT

I was told it was a super store, a giant warehouse lined with vintage button downs, retro t-shirts, and soft crew-necks. I was lied to.

The Salvation Army in Rutland, VT isn't like most rural thrift stores, which are usually large one-room buildings with aisle after aisle of clothing. This was different. 

I pulled up to the address that I had found online, and was surprised to see a little sign lying half-crooked on the door of a basement level storefront. My hour long drive was starting to feel like a waste of time. But I had heard good reviews of the store, both online and in person, so I walked in with high spirits.

It was worth the trip.

Although the entrance didn't suggest it, once I walked inside I saw that the store was a series of dimly-lit rooms, each one filled with an eclectic mix of antiques, clothing, and well, junk. It was a hoarder's paradise, so essentially, it was my paradise. I started snooping around, and almost instantly, I fell in love with this tray.


It was a little dirty, but I checked the stains by scratching them with a finger-nail, and luckily nothing seemed permanent. The picture above is after a good scrub down. 

Next, I stumbled upon this great wall clock.


I haven't tried it with a new battery yet, but I really hope it works. Either way, its one of those obviously cool man-cave items, so I went for it.

At this point, I was pumped to find the tray and the clock, but I really made the trip to buy clothing, so thats what I focused on next. Unfortunately, I didn't have the best of luck, just a few t-shirts. Here's one of my favorites.


Thinking that I had now gone through everything, I was about to leave, feeling good not great. But just as I was making my way to the counter, I stumbled upon a few glasses that really made my day. 

It sort of felt like this.


The reason I was so happy is because I used to have a set of Four Vintage Bird Glasses which I posted about almost a year ago.



Since then, tragically, two of them have broken. Today, although its not a perfect match, I found two similar tumblers.


Cheers to Rutland, VT!

DB

No comments:

Post a Comment