Monday, August 6, 2012

Steal the look?

You always hear about "stealing the look".  Get the style without the price. I thought about this concept recently when I sent my buddy a link to this beautiful watch:

44MM Parnis big pilots stainless steel case luminous MECHANICAL Watch 6497 PN213 $88


He responded correctly by saying that the watch was indeed beautiful, basically an IWC bootleg.  See what I mean?


Everything is pretty similar, besides the price, the name, and most likely the weight/quality of the
watch.  Which got me thinking, do I really want to "steal the look".  Is that even a good thing?

Dappered.com often writes about where to find less expensive alternatives, and recently posted about this stylish MOUGIN & PIQUARD™ CHRONOGRAPH WATCH IN BLACK $695


If it weren't being mass advertised through J.Crew, I would absolutely love this watch.  The people at Dappered.com volunteered this option from Boss as a handsome alternative.




These are a little flashier than the original, but still good looking.  But I don't want to steal the look.  I want the look.  Until I can afford it, I'm happy to wait impatiently.  And on a side note, I don't believe in buying watches from non-watch companies.  Its not even about price, I just think its tacky.  

So why not work with what you got.  Maybe something like this.



Sure, higher-end brands definitely carry something similar to this.  But this is a well-made watch from a respectable brand, with straps that keep it age appropriate and casual.

DB





No comments:

Post a Comment